RECIPES - STARTERS
BROILED CHEESE CRUSTED OYSTERS WITH PEAR & HORSERADISH PUREE
Makes 12 servings
Perfect for the cooler months, these oysters nestle in a silky, sweet bed of pear with the bite of horseradish. A delectable contrast to the warm broiled oyster and crusty cheese, and perfect with a red wine or cider.
|12 Sequim Bay oysters|
|1||pear, peeled and diced|
|1||small wedge of lemon|
|1||tablespoon fresh horseradish, grated (or 1 teaspoon prepared)|
|1/4||cup Parmesan cheese, grated|
|2||teaspoons chopped fresh herbs, such as marjoram, thyme or sage|
- Remove the oysters from their shells and set aside, then wash and dry the shells.
- Pre-heat the oven to broil.
- To make the puree, place the pear, lemon juice, and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, or until the pear is tender. Cool slightly, remove lemon, drain and transfer to a small blender. Add the horseradish and lemon zest and puree until smooth. Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese and herbs.
- Spoon a small mound of puree into the bottom of each shell, top with an oyster, followed by a small mound of the cheese mixture. Place the oysters on a baking sheet and broil until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- To your health!
PRINTER FRIENDLY RECIPE