RECIPES - MAIN COURSE
CORNMEAL ENCRUSTED OYSTERS
Serves 6 - 8
Fried oysters are a perennial favorite and are a welcome addition to a variety of dishes. Whether they are served in salads, Po’ Boy sandwiches or by themselves with a little bit of cocktail or tartar sauce, there are never any leftovers.
|24||Sequim Bay oysters, freshly shucked|
|1 1/2||cups yellow cornmeal|
|1/2||teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- Drain oysters completely.
- In a shallow dish or pie plate, mix cornmeal, flour, salt, cayenne and pepper. Pour buttermilk into a separate bowl.
- Dip the oysters into the buttermilk, then into the cornmeal, taking care not to build up too thick a crust. Place fully coated oysters onto a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake (or fry in smoking hot vegetable oil) until golden brown on their bottoms, abut 10 minutes, then turn over and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with SPICY COCKTAIL SAUCE (see CONDIMENTS)
PRINTER FRIENDLY RECIPE