RECIPES - STARTERS
BLINIS WITH OYSTERS & HORSERADISH CREAM
A perfect appetizer for a summer party or cocktails. These small, earthy, Russian-style pancakes, and creamy horseradish cream, are a lovely balance to the briny oysters.
|1||cup Marscapone (or crème fraiche/thick sour cream)|
|1||tablespoon horseradish relish|
|1||tablespoon chives, chopped|
|1||tablespoon lime juice|
|1||teaspoon lime zest|
|12||Sequim Bay oysters, freshly shucked|
|1/2||cup skim milk or water|
|1/2||cup buckwheat flour|
|1||cup self-rising flour|
|cracked pepper to taste|
|grapeseed or olive oil for brushing pan|
- Mix together the Marscapone, horseradish, chives and lime in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use (for flavors to develop, allow at least 1 hour).
- To make the blinis, combine the flours and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center, add the egg, stir in a little of the flour, then add the beer and stir again. Finally, add the milk and stir until just combined.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form and fold gently into mixture with the pepper.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan and brush with oil. Place a tablespoon of the mixture for each blini in pan (you’ll get about 5-6 in an average pan). When bubbles rise to the surface, turn the blinis and cook 30 second further or until browned. Place on absorbent paper and keep warm in a low oven until ready to use, or serve cold.
- To serve, top with a dollop of Horseradish Cream and an oyster. Garnish with chopped chives or salmon roe, if desired.
PRINTER FRIENDLY RECIPE